The Ops Community ⚙️

Laszlo
Laszlo

Posted on

Database deployment automation

I'm looking to find an optimal solution for database(Oracle) hosted structures and processing business logic maintenance, with some source code management system, connectable to Oracle SQLDeveloper I'm newbie in devops & pipelines, but quite experienced in scripting. Any input is helpful to start in the right direction. The environment is Azure hosted virtual machines(application servers) and Oracle databases.

Top comments (6)

Collapse

xaviermignot profile image
Xavier Mignot

After a quick search I have learned that there is a "Oracle Database Service for Azure" but I guess from the doc that you have to get started in Oracle Cloud first :-/
You don't have the same kind of PaaS service in Azure for Oracle as for Sql Server, MySql or PostgreSql.

So I think you might need to go with the IaaS route and provision Azure VMs to host your Oracle workloads.

Regarding the DevOps and pipelines stuff, as you are not familiar with it I suggest to put it aside for now, and focus on how you will host your Db. Experiment with the UI (Azure Portal) first, build experience and knowledge and then try to automate what you did using IaC and/or scripting tools.

Have fun, this will be a great journey :)

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

@lfuleki you have a couple of responses here from some willing community members - we're waiting to find out more from you about whether these help you, or if you have more info for us to help out further!

Just let us know when you get the time.

Collapse

techielass profile image
Sarah Lean

Not sure I understand the question, are you trying to deploy an Oracle database inside Azure?

Collapse

lfuleki profile image
Laszlo

The scope is to deploy the Oracle database inside Azure, but there is a large, customized business logic built inside in forms of PLSQL procedures/functions which would need frequent changes as per business requirements. These procedures are started externally from other applications. The development over the procedures is done via Oracle SQL developer. There is separate systems ST ET PR, As per now the PLSQL code is always manually exported and imported from one environment to other. There is also backups in specific folders... The goal is to connect SQL developer with some source code version management system suitable for database procedures & to able to do check in check out. create/install packages for the higher database environment instances ...

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

Azure people that spring to mind: @techielass, @kaiwalter, @xaviermignot, @ehanlon, and of course, @cloudyadvice - can anyone help Laszlo out?

Collapse

cloudyadvice profile image
Mike Graff

Sorry can't offer any advice here I do almost no work on Azure...